Monday, September 18, 2006

Save the trees.

Brought WW from 16.0 to 57.4 yesterday. What did I learn from this PL session? I learned that I am stuck with shit loads of arrows and that becoming a ranger with low overhead costs is now a viable option. Oh its not about to get any better either, I picked up all the ingrediants to run up to 69 tonight looks like its time to go skill up archery eh? After 69 my options for skilling "easy" end and I will have to be a bit more frugal with my gil. So far it has been an estimated 50% loss, this is just a rough guess, I have yet to sale a single item yet and did not include unsynthed Mythril Bolts or Demon Arrows. I also have a lot of excess arrowheads, lumber etc.. sitting in storage now for future synth/sales.

Suprisingly this cost far less than I estimated so.... I think I need to get myself a pair of boneworkers Protective Spectacles they remind me of the old style Oakley Frogskins and kind of look like those yellow tinted fishermans glasses. Of course I could just dat mod them in and save some cash but then I wont be able to share the sexy with others^^. I really think I want a pair of shades, I do have gold in the 20's but it would cost insane amounts of gil to boost it to 48, my cloth like bone is sitting at 0, cloth is another option for glasses but it seems like it would cost far more to level than bone, also cloth seems far more time consuming than bone to boost up for vanity. Then again I am bringing cloth up to 30 for signed fishing gear.....

Why the crazy crafting schemes with no long term goal? Well there is a goal of sorts. I have done my share of exp and I loved almost every minute of it, I wouldnt trade it for the world but it lost its luster. I could never focus on any one given job without burn out so I bounced many jobs accumulating gil and gear as I went. I was never happy with the standard stuffs and drove myself to obtain the best gear I could, not always the most outrageous +1 items but in the end I would show up to party in gear far above the norm. I made and lost fortunes: one week I had 43 million in my pocket, at the end of the week I was killing giants in quifm for choco money, a few days later I was dropping millions again. A constant circle of buying and selling gear, creating mules to store choice items or sell those same items, etc... In the end I had a lot of good stuff but never really held onto anything I would pour myself into one job only to short change myself in another. Changing jobs on a whim was a bad idea to say the least.
Then I said fuck it all and started fishing. little to no overhead, lvl1 gear no worries about pt's or ls's, the good life, retirement. Hmm no jobs to worry about, multiple mules packed to the gills with equipment, time to get a nest egg going. I told myself when I hit this or that level wealth I would invest in a certain job again and streamline my gear.. wait damnit thats what got me here in the first place. So after a bit of thinking I decided to take retirement seriously. No jobs, No gear, No exp. What to do with this steady flow of income from liquidation? Well first off was my Lu Shangs, dumped a lot of money into moats and fast tracked that. Near the end of my Lu' run we hit the jackpot with the mercurial kris, loaded again. Now back in the day my cut of the kris cash would have been gone in a flash on some trinket, now with nothing to buy but bait, a self imposed ban from the AH and that steady flow of cash from my mules my nest egg had to be saved for a rainy day or invested in something. I first thought about working the AH to stockpile an X-mas fund but given the current deflation trend that could turn out small profits or even a potential loss. So I started researching crafts.
I knew I wanted WW to 80ish to repair Lu' if I should ever get my fishing that high. While I was to sick to play last week I researched other crafts and started building a list of what I want need and the best or easiest route to get there. The goal with crafting is for the most part to spend every last gil I get raising my guild levels until I am 100% completly flat broke, no gear to sell, empty mules, no nothing. Then I will start a job from scratch or pick up a currently leveled job. I like the idea of taking one of my few pre-dunes jobs and giving him a fresh start with the tools to carry it via crafting, fishing etc.. and seeing what I can make of it. I know its a reckless plan at best, more thn likely I will kick myself in my broke ass at the end of it but like I said I will have the tools at my diposal that I never gave a second glance to back in the day.

No comments: